I'm always searching for really awesome natural products to incorporate in my daily life, and I've recently come across some pretty cool natural gum.
Simply Gum is the only gum in the United States that is 100% natural, without ANY synthetics. Apparently, conventional gum brands (and even the ones claiming to be "natural") all use snythetics in their base, and apparently, the FDA allows conventional gum brands to hide up to 80 synthetic ingredients in the term "gum base." Gross. (Also, a lot of them use aspartame. Double gross.)
Simply Gum uses only six ingredients — all natural — AND each flavor tastes exactly like the flavor they claim to be.
I'm a huge sucker for packaging, and I think we can all agree that whoever designed these little gum packets did an awesome job. But now that we've appreciated the package aesthetics, let's talk about the actual product.
When I got my package in the mail, I couldn't wait to test them out. Are they going to taste like they're supposed to taste? The quick answer? YES. They actually taste exactly as they're described, which is awesome.
So, what are the ingredients? And why?
Each package only has six ingredients — that's it! The package even has images of each ingredient on the back, along with the listed ingredients to really give you an idea of what they are, which is a nice touch.
- All Natural Chicle: The sap of the sapodilla tree is the gum base. Most gums have a synthetic base, but chicle is biodegradable, so bonus points for helping the environment. (But this doesn't mean that it's totally cool if you spit it out on the ground. I mean, it is. But just don't. That's the worst.)
- Organic Dried Cane Juice: The most unrefined form of sugar. No aspartame here!
- Organic Vegetable Glycerin: They add this to keep the gum moist. It's from non-GMO sources of vegetable oil.
- Organic Sunflower Lecithin: An emulsifier that keeps the ingredients from separating.
- Organic Rice Flour: It's gluten-free and used to keep the gum from getting too sticky!
- All Natural Flavor: It pretty much says it like it is: it's all from natural ingredients, so the mint is real mint, the cinnamon is cinnamon, etc.
The really cool thing about these is that they also come with "post chew wraps" conveniently located INSIDE the lid of the package. Maybe I'm a huge dork, but I thought this was the coolest thing. They pull out easily and entirely solve the issue of searching for something (hello random receipt from who knows when) to put your gum in when you're ready to spit it out. GENIUS!
The gum itself looks kind of like rabbit pellets. The pieces are a caramel color, and they're entirely raw gum, not candy-coated like most gums out there. It kind of looks like something you made yourself, but I mean, hey, it is a natural based gum and it is handmade in NYC.
When you first chew the gum, you'll notice the texture is a bit different from your everyday conventional gum. It feels a lot less rubbery, but still firm. The texture softens up after about 30 seconds and stays pretty soft for the duration of the chew. All of the flavors taste exactly as they should, but the downside is the flavor starts to fade after a few minutes.
All in all, I think this gum is great for anyone who's focused on what goes into their body and prefers natural products. If conventional gums freak you out, test these out. They're not expensive — you can get a variety six pack or you can buy a pack with all of the flavors so you can decide which one is your favorite. Personally, I really like the cinnamon. It tastes like real cinnamon, not the OMG-my-mouth-is-on-FIRE version of cinnamon.
- Have you tried Simply Gum?
- Do you know of any other natural gums?
- Is a product being natural a priority to you?