So after this week I’m pretty sure that I need:
- A blonde bob. Because obviously.
- To use about 60% more body oil, pronto.
- To watch Nightmare on Elm Street. Never seen it, bro!
- And to introduce--jazz hands, please--the first-ever xoVain Comments of the Week (COTW for brevity)!!
One of the best things about xoVain is its community. I’ve learned so much from so many commenters over the last year--and it's no surprise that some of them have gone from commenter to contributor. So settle in, maybe fetch a cup of tea (I say Earl Grey with milk), and allow me to recap my favorite comments of the week.
1. Some of us are really, really picky about product applicators, absolutely, but who doesn’t love a dupe recommendation? Thanks, “Shelly Johnson.”
"In case anyone is interested in Touche Éclat but can't justify the ridiculous price, the L'Oreal La Touche Magique Concealer has a similar applicator and works really well. I've shelled out for higher end concealers and I'm really happy with this one."--"Shelley Johnson"
2. On the subject of sharing tweezers, “Sarah” came up with a pitch for a story I'd like to read right now!
"I was thinking I should pitch a lesbian beauty article featuring how the two of us share a tiny bathroom/put up with each other:)"--"Sarah"
3. “Fuhhletch,” please tell your mom she’s killing it with the brown lipstick. She waited a long time for that to come back in style, and she deserves it.
"Ugh, I already had to tell my painfully out of fashion mother she was trendy with her nail shape, and now her lipstick, too? No. I can't let her have that kind of power. She doesn't know what to do with it."--"Fuhhletch"
4. Sometimes, my favorite comments are questions that create teachable moments. “Sophie” asked a question about nude lipstick that I’ve totally had before.
"Okay, I need to ask this question, after seeing hundreds of beauty articles on nude lipsticks in every beauty blog ever. What is the point of nude lipsticks???"--"Sophie"
5. “Mailbtch” shared a personal experience that a lot of us can relate to in the comments of Zoe's post on makeup for when you know you're going to see your partner's ex.
"Ugh, one of my partner's exes (the only one I've hung out with) looks a LOT like me. Whenever I saw her, I wanted to run home and change. If I wore a nice outfit and put on some makeup, she would be adorably barefoot and barefaced. If I kept it casual, she put together an awesome look with colorful makeup that just looked perfect and effortless. I sort of got over it when we became friendly, but the easy comparison just brought out something I didn't like in myself..."--"Mailbtch"
6. Then there was that time when “Mangomadness” extolled her vast cramp wisdom upon us. For her, the below method keeps painful, "debilitating" cramps at bay.
"...Everyday I eat two tablespoons of Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Molasses for potassium, iron, calcium, vitamin B6, and magnesium, [which] have been shown to alleviate PMS and menstrual cramps via supplementation. A couple days before my period begins, I take 60 mg of Vitacost L-Opti Zinc mineral supplement with food. Taking zinc in this manner prevents dysmenorrhea completely. I take L-Opti Zinc (aka zinc methionine) because it's the most bioavailable form of zinc for supplementation..."--"Mangomadness"
Back to me for a sec, I picked up a new mascara, because lord knows I need to give up on the tube of CoverGirl Full 'N Soft I’ve been scraping clean for a week. Although I'd read dozens of reviews I ended up randomly grabbing CoverGirl Professional 3-in-1 Mascara, which totally dominates with its old school spoolie and flexible, buildable volume. It's my new favorite.
Did you learn anything new this week, beauty-related or otherwise? I learned how to plumb a toilet, which is easier than it sounds, trust.