For Valentine’s Day, sugary-sweet, girly makeup is always cute and festive, but this year, I’m planning to incorporate intense, vampy makeup as well. Below I show you three ways you can, too.
If You Want To Focus On Your Lips...
- Apply a dark plum lip color, such as Giorgio Armani Rouge d’Armani in 602, to your top lip.
- Coat your lower lip with a lighter plum shade. I used NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in San Paulo.
- Using a lip brush loaded up with a dark lipstick, such as Mac Lipstick in Film Noir, go over the plum color on your top lip.
- Using the same lipstick and lip brush, heavily trace your lower lip, going over the paler purple shade and working inward until you leave a small oval in the center of your lips.
- To get an ombré effect, use your finger to blend the dark shade on your lower lip inward toward the center of your lips.
I kept the rest of my makeup soft, with pale pink blush, shimmery seashell pink eye shadow, deep burgundy eyeliner (Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Deep Burgundy), and a coat of mascara.
If You Want To Focus On Your Eyes...
Reddish brown makes for some seriously sensual smoky eyes that can coexist with sweet cheeks and lips. For this look, I used only shadows from theBalm Nude ‘Tude Palette.
- Sweep a shimmery light pink shadow across your mobile lid.
- Using a fluffy brush, sweep a matte reddish brown shadow in the area from your crease to your brow bone.
- To add definition, use a crease brush to apply a matte, dark brown shadow on the outer V area.
- Using a slanted eyeliner brush, apply the same dark brown shade to lightly line your lower lash line.
- Finish off by lining your top lash line with a dark liner. I used Clinique Brush-On Cream Liner in Black Honey, a shimmery, purple-brown with gold flecks.
I also added Eylure No. 100 false lashes and lined my lower inner rims with the same eyeliner from the first look. I balanced the intense eye makeup with Yves San Laurent Baby Doll Kiss and Blush in Pink Hedoniste, a warm pink, on my lips and cheeks.
If You Want To Focus On Both...
You can totally go for strong eyes and lips, but adjust the intensity accordingly. Here I toned down the eyes just a bit by incorporating a soft flash of rose gold shadow on my lids and kept the lips dark yet simple. For this look, I used shadows from my Urban Decay Naked3 Palette.
- First, apply a matte, mauve-pink shade from your crease to below your brow bone.
- Pat a rose-gold shade onto the center of your mobile lid. Make sure to leave space in the inner and outer corners of your lid.
- Add a soft black shade to the inner and outer corners using a crease brush. I used Black Heart, a soft black with red shimmer.
- Go over the soft black shadow with a different crease brush and a shimmery mauve color.
- Blend the two colors together and then upward using a fluffy brush.
- Define your eyes with a dark liner. I used Clinique Brush-On Cream Liner in Black Honey to line my top and lower lash lines.
- Add mascara to curled lashes.
For the lips, I created a deep plum shade by blending MAC Film Noir lipstick with Sonia Kashuk Lustrous Shine Lip Crayon in Orchidee.
- Are you doing anything special with your makeup for Valentine's Day?
- Think you'll try one of these looks? Let's talk about it all in the comments.