One of my favorite parts of visiting New York is that Marci always sends me home with a generous armful of beauty products to try. As any beauty editor will tell you, it's impossible to hoard every product that comes across your desk, so it makes sense to give away as much as you can. That said, there are some things that I personally can never part with, no matter how cluttered my vanity gets, and at the very top of that list is lipstick.
I have so many lipsticks to try right now (THANKS MARCI, YOU'RE CRAZY TO PART WITH THEM) and I'm excited to spend my entire weekend putting each shade on, taking a million selfies, and then wiping it off before trying on the next. It's a very fitting way to spend the weekend considering it was just National Lipstick Day.
Pictured above we've got lipstick from Urban Decay, Kat Von D, Sephora + Pantone Universe, Maybelline, Tyra Beauty, bareMinerals, and Bite Beauty. I have a feeling that those pastel Pantone Modern Watercolor Lip Gloss shades are going to look terrible on me, but there's a very '90s Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick shade called Molasses that I'm already completely in love with.
(Funny story: when I uncapped Molasses, my boyfriend said "Ew!" at the same time that I said "Oooh!" So we can put brown lipstick on the list of things that boys just don't get.)
Now it's time for Comments of the Week!
1. "BettyBoop" mentioned one of my favorite out-there lipstick names:
Maybelline has one called Constant Toast and I don't know why I find it so funny but I do
2. "originalrjc" shared a great hack for using Lush Shower Jelly:
I have Whoosh! I love using it when I'm hungover or just sleepy from an all nighter and need a jumpstart. I like to wrap a chunk into a washcloth so it lathers nicely and doesn't jump away from me.
3. "UniqueUsernamesAreOverrated" gave some helpful advice for those of us trying to grow strong nails:
I love the opi file! Regular nail files would leave behind snarls of nail underneath my nails instead of filing them cleanly off. Also, I just gotta bring this up. I had the weakest flimsiest nails ever for years. Tried everything in the book to make them thicker/stronger. Was diagnosed with a B2 deficiency which affects your hair and skin (and therefore your nails too). My nails are already getting stronger (will probably be great when the flimsy ones grow out). Happy dance.
4. "nooneputsbabyinthecorner" made me realize that fancy packaging for all of my budget beauty products is within my reach:
I use a generic sweet almond oil that I buy from Bulk Apothecary online, but I put in a pretty blue glass dropper bottle that I bought for like $5 on Amazon because I must feel like a fancy bitch at all times.
- Who wants to come to Pennsylvania this week and have a lipstick party with me and Doug? (Doug will not be trying on lipstick himself; he is there to act as an impartial judge.)
- Do you have a large lipstick stash? How do you ensure that you actually wear all of them?