Over the years, I've refrained from purchasing anything from the Disney for Sephora collections. I loved Disney growing up (Princess Jasmine was my fave), but I wasn't completely convinced that a Disney collab could do quality makeup as well as some of my favorite high-end brands.
So when I was asked to do a review of the new Disney Minnie Beauty line — as in Minnie Mouse — from Sephora Collection, I was kind of afraid. What if I don't like ANYTHING except for the cute packaging?
Well, over the past few weeks, I've been able to test out a bunch of stuff from the collection, and let me just say, things didn't turn out as I expected — in a good way. Here's a rundown of my thoughts on each of the products in the collection. (Not pictured: the cute Minnie charms that come with almost all the products!)
The Brush Up on Glamour set is, by far, my favorite piece from the collection. It includes five brushes — a powder brush, an angled blush brush, a shadow brush, a crease brush and an angled liner brush — PLUS a cute brush holder to display each of the brushes. The bristles aren't the softest ever, but they're decently soft, and they don't shed at all.
I can never have too many brushes, so these were a very cute addition to my collection.
The collection offers not one, but two liquid liners, sold together as the Minnie's Black & White Felt Eyeliner Duo. I never used a white liner before, but I thought the inclusion of it was a nice touch. I like using the white liner on top of my black liner since it helps to make my eyes pop.
These last really long on my oily lids. The black liner stayed put all day without any smudging, and the white liner stayed put with just the tiniest bit of fading at the end of the day.
The Reflection of Minnie Compact Mirror is shaped like Minnie's ears and features a normal mirror and a magnifying one. It also comes with a pouch that could double as a coin purse.
This mirror is a little heavy, and my main qualm is that it doesn't snap shut, so you're going to need to use the pouch unless you want your mirror to spontaneously flip open while in your bag.
The Minnie's World in Color Eyeshadow Palette has two removable inserts: one featuring the mirror and one featuring the palette of 20 shades. You can remove the inserts so you can use the case as a legit clutch when you're going out. How cute!
Quality-wise, the shadows, which were a mix of matte, shimmer and glitter finishes, were surprisingly good.
Here's a description of the shades. (My faves are Some Like It Dot, Red Carpet Arrival and Be My Bow because they were the best quality — very pigmented and creamy!)
- Flirt in a Skirt: cool matte taupe with good pigmentation and a creamy texture
- Yoo-Hoo!: matte mint green with tiny glitter flecks — good pigmentation and a creamy texture
- Puppy Love: warm, matte, pale yellow with a creamy consistency and buildable pigmentation
- Miss Minnie: warm, shimmery pinky-plum with glitter flecks — a creamy texture and good pigmentation
- Hello Mickey!: warm, shimmery orchid with a creamy consistency and good pigmentation; applies unevenly at first
- Ex-Boyfriend: cool, shimmery lavendery-white with a creamy texture and good pigmentation
- Starlet: warm, shimmery pinky-peach with OK pigmentation (not good, but not terrible) and a creamy texture
- Big Shoes To Fill: warm, matte canary yellow with glitter flecks — a dry consistency and good pigmentation
- Put a Bow On It: matte off-white with good pigmentation — a bit of a chalky texture
- Some Like It Dot: metallic copper with a very creamy texture and excellent pigmentation
- Red Carpet Arrival: metallic, subdued silver with a very creamy texture and excellent pigmentation
- Pick Me Up At 8: matte, dark brown with cool undertones and a dry, powdery texture; pigmentation was buildable
- Daisy's My BFF: matte white with a dry texture and good pigmentation
- Mickey's Squeeze: lavender with big glitter flecks, OK pigmentation and a creamy texture
- Girlish Appeal: shimmery eggplant with good pigmentation and powdery texture
- Whoopee Party: matte cobalt with OK pigmentation and a dry texture
- I'm All Ears: highly pigmented matte black with a powdery texture
- Blue Rhythm: shimmery, pale blue with good pigmentation and a creamy texture
- So Demure: shimmery navy with a powdery texture and very good pigmentation
- Be My Bow: shimmery gunmetal with a creamy texture and very good pigmentation
OK, so Minnie Mouse doesn't have lips, but if she did, we're supposed to think she likes red lipstick because she seems like a classic kind of mouse, and what better color to go with her red and white polka dot dress than a bright red lipstick?
Minnie's Perfect Red Lipstick is a slightly warm-toned, bright, cherry red lipstick. It smells like vanilla and feels moisturizing on the lips. It glides over my lips and conceals dry patches very easily. This lasts me about three hours when I wear it. It also has good, buildable pigmentation. I recommend two swipes for the most opaque coverage.
Minnie's Inner Glow Luminizing Blush is a peach-colored blush with gold flecks. It is very sheer. On the packaging, it's described as a "soft blush," so it's difficult to overdo if you tend to go blush crazy.
Overall, I liked this collection. I'm certainly going to be more open to Disney for Sephora collections in the future. My favorite products were definitely the brushes, the black eyeliner and the lipstick. I wish there was a set of false eyelashes or lengthening mascara though, because c'mon, dramatic lashes are actually a part of her beauty profile!
- Did you like any of the Disney for Sephora collections?
- Which character would you like to see get a collection?