I loved my Marley twists from last summer/fall so much that I decided to do five different looks for summer. But this time I'm opting for a natural, off-black color in 1B instead of the eye-catching 99J burgundy.
I can’t count how many times people have stopped (at a wedding, on the subway, at a party, walking my dog) to compliment me on these looks. One day I was at the supermarket and a woman asked me if my neck hurt from the weight of the hair. Nope. Light as a feather.
Before we start, I must mention that I personally LOVE when some part of my hair is elevated above the rest. These tutorials will show you a few of the ways that I do that.
Now, this is going to be a bit long, but trust me, I got you, boo!
1. Jumbo bobby pins (like, a lot)
2. Elastic hair bands--I like these
3. Hair gel
1. BEACH/POOL: I'm a summer baby, so when New York's gloomy winter months are over, you better believe I'm soaking up those rays three to four times a week! This style gets my hair up out of the way so I can get maximum sun. (Yesss, black people do tan!) Plus, I don't have to worry about the ends of my 26" synthetic Marley extensions getting in the salt water or chlorine while I wade.
2. BARBECUE/PICNIC/OUTDOOR PARTY: I don't know about y'all, but the barbecues I attend are EVENTS! My go-to BBQ style is twisted, pinned-up bangs with a waterfall of Marley hair.
3. DATE NIGHT: First date or 100th date, a girl has got to look cute for her boo thang. I have done an array of hairstyles while wearing twists, but this cascading braided tail with a twisted frontal updo is my current favorite. Your hair is down, but it’s out of your face, so you can showcase some of your other assets.
4. GIRLS' NIGHT OUT: GNO is the time to let loose with your ladies. Your must-haves are as follows: freakum dress, bold lip, and big hair à la this faux-hawk style.
5. PROFESSIONAL-ISH-ISM: The 9 to 5 hustle requires something subtler. You don’t want to hide who you are or where you come from, but you need a look that puts the focus on YOU--not your hair.
Michel family plug: Shout out to my littlest sister Cassandra for being my photographer. I love that munchkin!
I hope these tutorials were easy to follow! Styling Marley twists is all about trial and error and what works for you.
Let me know what you guys think, and show me your twists!